Friday 22 April 2011

"It's a Royal Wedding! They don't come around very often!"

David Beckham will fly home to England for the Royal Wedding this Friday.

L.A Galaxy are due to play against FC Dallas this weekend, but that hasn't deterred the number 23, who has said he will fly back the next day for the game.

Having just returned from Los Angeles myself, I think someone should warn Becks about a little thing called 'jet-lag'.

The Galaxy boss, Bruce Arena, reacted angrily when asked about it: "Why are you worried about that? Write something about soccer. I don't comment on his social calendar."

Unsurprisingly, he doesn't sound like he's as caught up in the wedding fever as Beckham.

Skipper Landon Donovan said of Beckham's globe-trotting: "The only expectation for us is that he, like always, shows up and is ready to train and is ready to play, and as long as he does that, it's no issue."

Despite being the highest-paid player in the States, Beckham seems to be on a mission with one objective: try your best to antagonise as many L.A Galaxy fans as possible.

As I've learnt in writing this blog over the last few months, American fans are no less passionate about their teams as the rest of the world. Such a blatant disregard for loyalty won't wash with Galaxy fans, and I'm sure he's already found himself crossed off many people's Christmas card lists.

Beckham's inevitable departure from the States this year will almost certainly be an acrimonious one. It's a shame that England's most famous footballer will leave US fans with a bitter taste in their mouths after his Galaxy days.

I suppose they'll still recall the glory days of Rohan Ricketts, eh...!

N.B: As said in the article, I've just returned from a trip to California. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any MLS while I was out there.

However, I did spend some time with Fox Soccer Channel, observing their Champions League coverage. It was a fantastic experience, and I'm highly grateful to Eric Wynalda for giving me the opportunity - Cheers Eric!

Philip Wright-Lewis
@P_W_L

No comments:

Post a Comment